Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled commercial Absinthe in early nineteenth century in Pontarlier, France, utilized a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs just like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and also nutmeg. Wine is the conventional base for Absinthe however some distillers use other types of alcohol.
If you look for Absinthe recipes online, you will see that most of them involve steeping blends of herbs in liquor such as Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How can you Create Absinthe from home?
Although some recipes on the internet are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor with no license is against the law in lots of countries and you simply have to have the right equipment and you also need to find out what you’re doing. So, are there more methods for making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This generally involves steeping herbs such as wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a few days or possibly a few weeks in the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Just distillation will give you a real Absinthe, this will just provide you with an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Employing an Absinthe Kit – Almost all of the kits available online, much like the ones from Green Devil, are simply steeping kits. They are easier than discovering and preparing your own herbs but you’re simply steeping the herbs in vodka again and coming up with a flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much simpler and better way to make Absinthe in your own home. AbsintheKit.com create essences for the Absinthe industry as well as the essences are made by distilling classic Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is performed for you and all you need to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a real Absinthe drink.
The essences can be found in four different varieties:-
– Classic Green Essence to produce a traditional “verte” Absinthe with a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to produce a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This also carries a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to create Absinthe with a twist. This essence will make a yellow-orange colored Absinthe having a natural orange flavor and also a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence can make an Absinthe which has a higher thujone content (55mg) as well as a more bitter wormwood taste.
You can either get a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to make one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or buy a kit for $29 to make 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic measure and 14 imaginative bottle labels. All you have to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Remember that the alcohol content of your Absinthe depends on your alcohol base. Be careful, drink Absinthe moderately because it’s a substantially more powerful beverage than other spirits and fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or maybe a neutral alcohol which doesn’t have a powerful taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.